We are happy to introduce you to our eco-friendly, off-grid Bush Buck Suite. Offering private accommodation, this forest venue sleeps 2 guests. However, for larger groups, you are welcome to bring along your own extra tents, etc (please see rates for this below). The Bush Buck Suite is exclusive in that guests enjoy the privilege of having this unique and beautiful forest venue all to themselves.
RATES & CONDITIONS:
Please note: A 50% deposit is required to reserve your booking.
Rates per night: R950 for up to 2 guests; thereafter R90 per person.
Single Night Stays: By arrangement only; an additional R200 surcharge is applicable.
In Season (16 Dec - 5 Jan): Minimum of a 3 night stay is required.
Check In: Between 2pm and 5pm | Check Out: 10am (unless otherwise arranged).
Open Plan Bedroom, sitting area and kitchen:
- Double bed.
- Indoor fire place.
- All linen, towels and bedding provided.
- The front walls of the suite are canvas blinds that can be rolled up as desired.
- Fully equipped kitchen with pots, pans, cutlery and crockery.
- Please Note: The Bush Buck Suite provides cutlery and crockery for 2 guests only; parties of over 2 guests must therefore please bring along their own catering requirements.
- Gas for cooking (note: no oven, microwave or fridge as camp is off-grid. There is a communal freezer for use at the Info Hut).
- Grid is provided.
Open Air Bathroom:
- Hot water fuelled by the old fashioned Donkey Boiler.
- Wash stand and basin.
- Flush Toilet
For stays of over 4 nights, guests are welcome to recharge their laptops at the Platbos Forest Homestead (solar-powered).
- Solar lanterns and candles are provided; please bring along extra flashlights.
- Wood is provided for the ‘donkey boiler’, extra braai and fire wood may be purchased at Platbos – R30 per bag – please collect from the Info Hut and leave your money in the honesty box.No wood may be cut or collected from the indigenous Platbos Forest.
- Please bring along your own fire-lighters / blitz.
- Please bring along a Cooler Box and Ice Trays (re-freeze your ice bricks and ice trays in the communal freezer).
- Bush Buck Suite is off-grid; this means no electrical plug points or fridge (but as already stated, there is use of the communal freezer).
- While the water is fine for boiling and using in food preparation, you might like to bring along your own drinking water.
- Please do not use ‘Doom-type’ pesticide sprays, etc, but DO bring along insect repellent during the summer months for mosquitoes.
- Please respect the peace and tranquillity of the forest and keep noise levels down; no music is allowed.
- Cellphone receptivity varies in the forest and Vodacom receives better reception.
- BABOONS: Platbos is occasionally visited by a troop of baboons when the trees are bearing seed. We are fortunate in that they are still wild and unaccustomed to human food. They are non-aggressive and will run away if they see you. To ensure that the baboons remain this way, there are signs up at the accommodation to remind you to please always pack food away after meals.
- Platbos is also home to wild bees that make their nests in the old tree trunks. There are signs up to alert you of a ‘bee tree’ if it is anywhere nearby the forest trail. Simply walk quickly past the sign.
- Platbos is a wilderness area; please treat all aspects of it with the utmost respect.
- Platbos is unfortunately not pet-friendly therefore NO dogs are allowed.
The mosses and ferns that grow on the trees take many years to establish - please avoid unnecessary impacts on this delicate ecosystem.
Guests staying at the Bush Buck Suite may walk the forest trail free of charge.
… take only pictures and leave only footprints …
Platbos grows in an exceptionally beautiful valley -
once you have finished exploring the forest, discover the Uilkraal Vallei:
- A variety of mountain biking and walking trails with The Fynbos Trail - www.fynbostrail.co.za
- The award winning wines of the Uilkraal Vallei at Lomond Wines - www.lomond.co.za
- A peaceful, scheduled retreat at the beautiful Bodhi Khaya - www.bodhi-khaya.co.za
- Our neighbours, De Uijlenes - www.deuijlenes.co.za - and the Uylenvlei Retreat - www.uylenvlei-retreat.co.za - offer wedding and conference facilities and they also cater for extra-large groups.
Activities beyond the Uilkraal Vallei
(but still in our neck of the woods):
- Boat-based whale watching with Dyer Island Cruises - www.whalewatchsa.com
- Commune with the Southern Right whales from the rocky shoreline of De Kelders
- Visit the Klipgat caves - home to our collective ancestors over 100,000 years ago
- Enjoy a beach outing at the family-friendly Stanford's Cove, De Kelders
- Play putt-putt and have a ride down the super tube at Uilenkraalsmond Resort
- The Baardskeerdersbos Art Route - www.baardskeerdersbosartroute.com
- Bread-making workshops with artist Niel Jonker - www.nieljonker.co.za
- Take a drive to Wolvengat and visit the local artists
- Visit the beautiful town of Elim, with its historic church and mill