Bush Buck Suite
Glamping at its finest beneath the canopy of Platbos Forest
We are happy to introduce you to our eco-friendly, off-grid Bush Buck Suite. Offering private accommodation, this forest venue sleeps 2 guests. The Bush Buck Suite is exclusive in that guests enjoy the privilege of having this unique and beautiful forest venue all to themselves.
Video by : Little Films
Bush Buck Suite ~ What to Expect
Our rustic and comfortable accommodation aims to provide guests with a sense of being at one with the forest environment. The site of the Bush Buck Suite is orientated around a magnificent and ancient white stinkwood tree – by our estimates it is well over 500 years of age. The Bush Buck offers private and secluded accommodation and sleeps 2 guests in a double bed. A mosquito net is supplied for the summer months and the cabin has drop-down canvas blinds along the front façade, enabling you to feel truly part of the forest if you so wish. The cabin is open-plan with a kitchenette and cozy fire place, making it a wonderful option for winter stays. The ablutions – flush toilet, basin and shower – are separate from the cabin and are semi-enclosed: designed to make your stay at Platbos a true forest experience. Hot water is supplied via the old fashioned ‘donkey boiler system’. Please see Bush Buck Facilities below for further information.
The Bush Buck Suite is accessed via a short pathway from the designated parking area and all facilities are for the exclusive use of our Bush Buck Guests. This unit is a short walk from our Honey Bee Suite but they are screened from one another by dense forest. A private pathway from the suite gives guests access to the main forest trail.
For guests booking during weekdays, please be aware that Platbos is a nature reserve that requires active management and protection. During certain months of the year the Platbos Conservation Trust needs to carry out routine fire-break maintenance as well as alien clearing on our neighbour’s property. As far as possible, we try to minimize the noise disturbances for our guests but sadly, the reality is that without this ongoing, costly care, the forest would no longer be here to be enjoyed.
We do not have a reception office – we have structured things so that guests can go straight to their respective units. In order to facilitate this and ensure that you have a truly magical, hassle-free stay in the forest, we send important information, a map and directions which need to be read and/or printed out ahead of your stay.
Bush Buck Suite Facilities:
- Double bed.
- Indoor fire place.
- All linen, towels and bedding provided.
- The front walls of the suite are canvas blinds that can be rolled up as desired.
- Fully equipped kitchen with pots, pans, cutlery and crockery.
- Gas for cooking (note: no oven, microwave or fridge as the Bush Buck Suite is off-grid). We provide a Cooler Box – stored at the “Freezer Hut” – but you may like to bring along your own as well. Re-freeze your ice bricks and ice trays in the communal freezer.
- Grid is provided.
Open Air Bathroom:
- Hot water fuelled by the old-fashioned Donkey Boiler. Wood is supplied for this; however, guests are responsible for making their own fires.
- Washstand and basin.
- Flush Toilet.
Also to Note:
- A Solar lantern and candles are provided but you may like to bring extra lighting and flashlights.
- Wood is provided for the ‘donkey boiler’ (one bag for each night of your stay). Rooikrans Braai wood, a by-product from our alien clearing, is available at R50.00 per bag. Please collect this from the “Freezer Hut” in the fire break and leave your money in the honesty box. No outside wood is allowed to be brought onto the Reserve as this may introduce the dreaded “Shot Hole Borer Beetle” which will have dire consequences for the forest trees.
- Please bring along your own fire-lighters for your camp fire. We do however supply fire-lighters for your Donkey Fire.
- The greatest threat to Platbos Forest is fire: our donkey systems are contained and safe to use. However never leave a campfire burning unattended, and please do not make overly large fires.
- Bush Buck Suite is off-grid; this means no electrical plug points or fridge (but as already stated, there is use of the communal freezer).
- While the water at the camp is fine for boiling and using in food preparation, you might like to bring along your own drinking water.
- Please do not use “Doom-type” pesticide sprays, etc, but DO bring along insect repellent during the summer months for mosquitoes.
- Please respect the tranquillity of the forest and keep noise levels down. Loud and excited voices carry far into the forest and disturb the peace for other guests as well as for the forest’s wildlife. Strictly no music is allowed.
- Cell phone receptivity varies in the forest and Vodacom receives better reception.
- Platbos is a wilderness area and a legally protected habitat: no collection, removal or relocation of any plant, animal or fallen wood is allowed.
- BABOONS: Platbos is occasionally visited by a troop of baboons when the trees are bearing seed. We are fortunate in that they are still wild and unaccustomed to human food. They are non-aggressive and will run away if they see you. To ensure that the baboons remain this way, there are signs up at the accommodation to remind you to please always pack food away after meals. We also have baboon monitors who occasionally set off “thunder flashes” to chase the baboons away from human habitation.
- Platbos is also home to wild bees that make their nests in the old tree trunks. There are signs up to alert you of a ‘bee tree’ if it is anywhere nearby the forest trail. Simply walk quickly past the sign.
- Platbos – being a wildlife sanctuary – is unfortunately not pet-friendly and therefore NO dogs o pets are allowed.
Rates & Conditions:
Rate per night: See our Online Booking Calendar.
Please note: A 50% deposit is required to reserve your booking.
Single night stays: By arrangement only; an additional R200.00 surcharge is applicable. Not optional over weekends / Public Holidays
In Season (16 Dec – 5 Jan): Minimum of a 3-night stay is required.
Arrival Time: Any time after 2pm | Departure Time: 10am (unless otherwise arranged).